Tips to Kickstart Your Lawn in Spring
Thinking of a lush lawn this summer? Here are 10 tips to kickstart your lawn in spring.
Tips for a Great Looking Garden Lawn
- Oxygenate: Coring will help the lawn recover from winter waterlogging by allowing gases to be released from the ground and oxygen to be replenished under the lawn’s subsoil.
- Gypsum or coarse sand can be added if the base is heavy, particularly clay. This will help the infiltration (water movement through the lawn base), thereby draining the water more efficiently.
- Feed: A balanced fertiliser with a high nitrogen content to cause leaf tip to grow helps to store root energy after the winter onslaught has depleted it.
- Water regularly, particularly if conditions remain dry, to keep it growing vigorously.
- Allow it to grow longer. Don’t scalp it too early, but mow regularly at a high setting till mid to late spring.
- Spray out weeds that compete with your lawn while they are in their juvenile stage.
- Protect it from beetles with a 6-month residual beetle treatment.
- Apply a wetting agent before the weather heats up. This will drought-proof your lawn and give it a greener cover.
- Check to ensure that all pop-up sprinkler heads are working and cut around them if the grass is tight around them.
- Adjust PH if the soil is too alkaline to bring the PH in line with the range that better suits your lawn’s uptake of nutrients.
And there you have it! Happy gardening!